Howdy and good Christmas Eve to everyone. It has been a wild week and figured I had better get a post up tonight. Updating the trip journal will happen soon, I promise.
We will run head first into the 70 hour clock Christmas Day, so we will run it out and see how far we can get. Any distance left to the first delivery will result in a super early departure the morning of delivery. We have completed the trailer swap and we are all ready to roll in the morning. Depending on the situation after we stop tomorrow, we may do a Christmas Day broadcast and chat with you. See ya in the morning and bring your presents!
Oh, btw, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day only, you can get yourself a Free Mash It hat pin! Simply order your hat and put it in your cart then add the hat pin. On the check out page, use code FREEPIN to claim the free hat pin. Limited to stock on hand, no rain checks.
Howdy. We are spending the night overlooking the Dillon Reservoir in Frisco, Colorado. It was just one of those days… let me give ya a glimpse into what happened today while the cameras were off. We woke up at 3am in Grand Junction and ran through the early morning hours towards Denver. We had to leave early so we could beat the Highway closures on Interstate 70 in Idaho Springs. We rolled through before the shutdown occurred just as planned. When we arrived in Denver to change trailer types, we ran into one obstacle after another. In a nutshell, every trailer I selected was actually on hold to be sold, and every trailer the boss wanted me to take had road issues with it. Finally we drove Bobtail to another customer to pick up an empty trailer. We go to the truckstop and wait in line for DEF because it was extremely low. We get to the pump and def isn’t working. We wait in line inside and the cashier said yup, that one doesn’t work . So we run around the fuel island and pick another pump. Same thing. Go inside again. This time we ask her which pump actually works. We find that one and get it done. Then we try to hightail it out of Denver and find out there was still major delays. I know I left some details out, but trust me, it was a very long 14 day. As of shutdown, both the pickup and delivery appointments have been changed to accommodate the delays today.
Good morning America from Grand Junction, Colorado. We are still waiting for our next trip. Apparently freight out of here is pretty slow because this truckstop has quite a few trucks hanging around still. In the meantime, I uploaded three videos recorded yesterday morning in areas of Utah where we had no signal to broadcast live. Enjoy!
A good Sunday morning to ya Road Crew. This morning we departed Baker, California and as we headed up the mountain we noticed the trailer brakes started to smoke. We pulled over and cycled the brakes and then rolled slowly and pulling over alot to double check that the problem wasn’t continuing. As we felt more comfortable in the brakes, we nursed the truck to the nearest truck shop here in Las Vegas, Nevada. We are waiting to pull into the repair bays where they will check and advise on the repairs needed. Be sure to watch the status bar to see what stage we are at in this. We will roll on as soon as the brakes have been checked out and the danger of a trailer brake fire has been eliminated.
Good afternoon Road Crew! We should have been rolling by now but the driver we are doing a repower for is running behind. As soon as he gets here we will swap trailers and start our trip back to Colorado. Nice cool, damp, drippy day here in California. Nice to have the windows open relaxing with truck made pilot coffee, Jimmy Dean sausage and egg croissant in my hand. Yesterday our annual inspection was done very fast and they found no problems. Hang tight, we will get rolling as soon as we can.
Very long day today as we ran the full 11 hours of our drive clock. Tonight we are very thankful that we get to park on the property of our first delivery. Thursday morning we will make our first delivery at 6am, then scoot on over to the second delivery appointment in San Diego, then the final delivery in Compton. A full busy day ahead of us for sure. Since we are already at our first delivery, we will not broadcast until we leave here for the short 30 minute drive to the second delivery. Exactly what time ya ask? No idea, it all depends on how long this first delivery takes!
Lots of heavy traffic after we departed Hesperia, California because of a major accident as we descended through the San Bernardino mountains towards the Inland Empire. Then we hit the afternoon rush hour just about the whole way to National City! Glad we are safely parked for the night. Hope you enjoyed today’s broadcast! See ya after delivery!
I do have to make mention that the bigrigtravels store purchases come with free shipping in the 48 continental States. Because of the much higher shipping costs for the International orders, we have been fulfilling the orders and shipping them, but do ask that you visit the bigrigtravels.com/donate page to reimburse us for your shipping. Simply notice the postage on your package and send us the amount. If you don’t remember what it cost, you can email me and give me the details and I can look it up. Most of you have paid your international postage but there is a growing number that have not. I do this on the honor system, so let’s make sure bigrigtravels doesn’t lose any money with this. I greatly appreciate it.
I know that sometimes we get the short end of the stick with being turned away from delivery for being an hour late, or shippers that take 36+ hours to load us. But, let’s put things into perspective shall we? Right now there are thousands of Celadon truckers that have been stranded across the country and their fuel cards have been shut off and the trucking company has ceased operations. With no job, no way to get home, and their pay for miles already traveled in jeopardy, this is a very difficult Christmas season for them. Years ago, Arrow Trucking did the exact same thing – stranded their drivers – during the holiday season as well. So, while we may be inconvenienced by delays, there are alot of other truckers with much bigger problems on the horizon than just a delay. Perspective. It’s all about being thankful for whatever you do have and not letting the minor stuff cloud the bigger picture.
Well, our three attempts to make the final delivery this morning in Cheyenne, Wyoming really didn’t affect our next trip. The shipper had a DDT of 4am Saturday morning but as we arrived here in Greeley, Colorado, the load was 16 hours behind and no ready time in sight. They are so far behind schedule that they closed the yard to dropping any empty trailers because they had absolutely no room for us! We will check again in the morning. All bets are off and all delivery appointments are null and void!
Well, yesterday we were late due to circumstances beyond our control but we showed up as fast as we legally could. Yesterday we were told to come back at 0930am today to unload. So, we showed back up at 0915 but then get told that all the 0930 slots were full and that nobody actually penciled us in for a 0930 slot. So….now we have had to depart the property and they “say” they have put us in for a 1330 unloading slot later today. Great, more delays all due to communication failures from everyone else. Just hang tight and we will get back to the road when we can. At this point, we still have our next trip attached to us but all of those three deliveries need to be rescheduled as well. Stay tuned.
So we rushed to make up time to get to delivery at the most earliest legal time allowed…and they would not allow us in the gate today because we were 1hr 15min late! They have rescheduled us for 930am Saturday, but then this probably means we will lose our next trip! Let’s hope for the best and see what happens next.